Planning a wedding can be an exciting but overwhelming, especially if you are not familiar with the area. If you are getting married in the North East of England, there are many stunning venues to choose from, ranging from historic buildings such as Bamburgh Castle and Durham Castle to rustic barns and country inns such as Healey Barn and South Causey Inn. With so many options available, it can be difficult to know where to start. In this article, I highlight the process of planning a North East wedding, covering everything from choosing the best venue to finding the perfect suppliers, so that you can have the wedding of your dreams.
Why you should plan your wedding properly
Some couples plan their wedding months (or years) in advance. However, some leave things to the last minute. I don’t recommend this simply because it adds extra stress and strain to the experience.
10 Common Wedding Planning Problems – Be Aware!
- Running out of budget
- Overbooking venues or vendors
- Not having enough food or drinks for guests
- Inviting guests who can’t make it due to double-booking
- Underestimating time for set up and clean up
- Not having backup plans for inclement weather
- Not having enough seating or table space
- Forgetting important details such as favors or decorations
- Booking vendors who are not licensed or insured
- Not allowing enough time for transportation and parking arrangements.
Wedding Planning Timeline
A typical timeline for a UK wedding typically lasts around a year and includes several key steps to ensure the day goes smoothly.
Early Stages – 12-18 months before the wedding:
- Decide on a budget (important!)
- Choose a wedding venue and set a date
- Start researching and booking vendors (e.g. florist, photographer, caterer)
- Begin wedding dress shopping
Still plenty of time- 6-9 months before the wedding:
- Send out “Save The Date” cards
- Book transportation
- Start planning your honeymoon
- Order wedding stationery (invitations, thank-you cards, etc.)
Need to finalise – 3-6 months before the wedding:
- Finalise vendor contracts (if you haven’t already)
- Choose and purchase bridesmaids’ dresses
- Arrange fittings for the bride’s dress
- Meet with the florist to plan the floral arrangements
Getting Close – 1-3 months before the wedding:
- Mail out invitations
- Finalise menu with the venue/caterer
- Book hair and makeup appointments
- Attend final dress fitting
Nearly there – 2-4 weeks before the wedding:
- Finalise details with all vendors
- Provide final headcount to the caterer
- Confirm transportation and rehearsal dinner arrangements
- Have final dress fitting and make necessary alterations
The week of the wedding:
- Rehearse the ceremony
- Have final meetings with all vendors as required
- Pick up the wedding dress and make sure it fits perfectly
- Take some time to relax
The day of the wedding:
- Enjoy bride/groom preparations
- Guests arrive
- Ceremony including the exchange of vows and rings
- Confetti shot and group photographs
- Drinks & Canapes
- Couple portrait photos
- Wedding Breakfast with speeches and toasts (speeches before the meal is better imho!)
- Cutting the Cake
- First Dance
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions that couples ask when they’re planning their wedding in the North East of England.
How long does it take to plan a wedding in the North East of England?
A typical wedding timeline is 12-18 months from the start of the planning to the wedding day itself.
Planning a wedding in the United Kingdom can be a complex and time-consuming process, but with proper planning and organisation, couples can ensure that their special day goes smoothly. By following a timeline, couples can ensure that all necessary steps are completed promptly and that they can handle the weeks leading up to their wedding.
If you’ve got any questions about this then let me know and I’ll do my best to help!