Wedding Photography Styles
Wedding photography is an important aspect of your special day, as it captures the memories and emotions of one of the most significant moments of your life. With the advancement of technology and the abundance of resources available, it’s essential to choose the right style of photography that will best suit your needs and personality. In this article, we will explore three of the most popular styles of wedding photography: traditional, creative, and documentary.
How many wedding photography styles are there?
There are many different styles that wedding photographers could potentially fit into. Here is a list of 10 styles:
- Documentary wedding photography (also called photojournalistic or reportage)
- Fine Art wedding photography (artistic images which are often light, airy or pastel)
- Contemporary wedding photography (a mix of creative portrait and documentary)
- Fashion wedding photography (also called editorial with a ‘magazine’ feel)
- Natural light wedding photography (photographers who don’t (or can’t) use flash!)
- Traditional wedding photography (classic posed images throughout the day)
- Creative wedding photography (typically using off camera flash
- Black and white wedding photography (a sub-genre in its own right)
- Hybrid wedding photography (using both digital and film photos)
- Film like wedding photography (reflecting the style of film based photos)
What is the best style for you?
No matter what style of wedding photography you choose, it is essential to find a photographer who has the experience and expertise to create the images you want. Be sure to research different photographers, look at their portfolios, and ask for references. You should also make sure that the photographer is fully licensed and insured, and that they are familiar with the specific requirements of your wedding venue.
How to choose a wedding photographer
Choosing a wedding photographer can be a daunting task for a newly engaged couple. With so many options available, knowing what to look for when selecting is essential. Here are some tips to help you choose the right photographer for your special day:
- Style: Determine the style of photography that you prefer, whether it be traditional, fine art, photojournalistic, or any of the other styles available.
- Portfolio: Look at the photographer’s portfolio to get a feel for their work and ensure that it fits your style and preferences.
- Budget: Make sure to consider the photographer’s fees and determine if they fit within your budget.
- Personality: It’s important to choose a photographer who you feel comfortable with and who you feel confident will be able to capture the essence of your special day.
- Availability: Make sure that the photographer is available on your wedding date and that they are willing to work within your schedule.
- Recommendations: Ask for recommendations from friends and family, and read reviews from previous clients to get a better understanding of the photographer’s skills and reputation.
- Contract: Make sure to review and understand the terms and conditions of the photographer’s contract and ensure that it meets your needs and expectations.
Choosing a wedding photographer is an important decision that should be taken seriously. By considering these factors and taking the time to research and compare different photographers, you can find the right photographer for your special day and ensure that your memories are captured in a meaningful and timeless way.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is traditional wedding photography?
Traditional wedding photography is characterised by posed shots and a more structured approach to capturing the day’s events. The photographer will take control of the scene, arranging the bride and groom, family members, and bridal party into various poses. This style of photography is ideal for those who want a more formal and polished look, with images that showcase the elegant attire and formal settings. The traditional style can also be a good choice for those who want to ensure that all the important moments of the day are captured, such as the first kiss, the exchange of rings, and the cutting of the cake.
What is documentary wedding photography?
Documentary wedding photography is a style that is becoming increasingly popular, as it aims to capture the day’s events more naturally and unobtrusively. The photographer will blend into the background, allowing the day’s events to unfold organically and capturing candid moments and emotions as they happen. This style is perfect for those who want to relive the day’s events as they happened, without the intrusion of posed shots or staged moments.
What is creative wedding photography?
Creative wedding photography is the opposite of the traditional style, as it focuses on capturing the day’s events in a more imaginative and spontaneous way. This style is often more relaxed and less structured, with photographers using different techniques to produce images that are more abstract and unconventional. This style can be ideal for couples who want to showcase their individuality and personality, and who want their wedding photography to reflect their unique style and taste.
What is fine art wedding photography?
Fine art wedding photography is a style of wedding photography that combines traditional techniques with a more creative and artistic approach. The aim of fine art wedding photography is to capture the essence of the wedding day and to create images that are visually stunning and emotionally engaging. Fine art wedding photographers use a variety of techniques to produce images that are not only beautiful but also tell a story. They may use natural light, creative compositions, and post-production techniques to create images that are unique and expressive. Fine art wedding photography is a great choice for couples who want their wedding images to reflect their personal style and creativity, and who want to cherish a visual story of their special day for years to come.
In conclusion, choosing the right style of wedding photography is a personal decision that will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Traditional photography is perfect for those who want a polished and formal look, creative photography is ideal for those who want to showcase their individuality and personality, and documentary photography is perfect for those who want to relive the day’s events as they actually happened.
Whatever style you choose, be sure to find a photographer who has the experience and expertise to create the images you want, and who is fully licensed and insured. Let me know if you have any questions.