Wedding Photography Styles
Wedding photography is an important aspect of your special day, as it captures the memories and emotions of one of the most significant moments of your life. With the advancement of technology and the abundance of resources available, it’s essential to choose the right style of photography that will best suit your needs and personality. In this article, we will explore three of the most popular styles of wedding photography: traditional, creative, and documentary.
How many wedding photography styles are there?
There are many different styles that wedding photographers could potentially fit into. Here is a list of 10 styles:
- Documentary wedding photography (also called photojournalistic or reportage)
- Fine Art wedding photography (artistic images which are often light, airy or pastel)
- Contemporary wedding photography (a mix of creative portrait and documentary)
- Fashion wedding photography (also called editorial with a ‘magazine’ feel)
- Natural light wedding photography (photographers who don’t (or can’t) use flash!)
- Traditional wedding photography (classic posed images throughout the day)
- Creative wedding photography (typically using off camera flash
- Black and white wedding photography (a sub-genre in its own right)
- Hybrid wedding photography (using both digital and film photos)
- Film like wedding photography (reflecting the style of film based photos)
What is the best style for you?
No matter what style of wedding photography you choose, it is essential to find a photographer who has the experience and expertise to create the images you want. Be sure to research different photographers, look at their portfolios, and ask for references. You should also make sure that the photographer is fully licensed and insured, and that they are familiar with the specific requirements of your wedding venue.
How to choose a wedding photographer
Choosing a wedding photographer can be a daunting task for a newly engaged couple. With so many options available, knowing what to look for when selecting is essential. Here are some tips to help you choose the right photographer for your special day:
- Style: Determine the style of photography that you prefer, whether it be traditional, fine art, photojournalistic, or any of the other styles available.
- Portfolio: Look at the photographer’s portfolio to get a feel for their work and ensure that it fits your style and preferences.
- Budget: Make sure to consider the photographer’s fees and determine if they fit within your budget.
- Personality: It’s important to choose a photographer who you feel comfortable with and who you feel confident will be able to capture the essence of your special day.
- Availability: Make sure that the photographer is available on your wedding date and that they are willing to work within your schedule.
- Recommendations: Ask for recommendations from friends and family, and read reviews from previous clients to get a better understanding of the photographer’s skills and reputation.
- Contract: Make sure to review and understand the terms and conditions of the photographer’s contract and ensure that it meets your needs and expectations.
Choosing a wedding photographer is an important decision that should be taken seriously. By considering these factors and taking the time to research and compare different photographers, you can find the right photographer for your special day and ensure that your memories are captured in a meaningful and timeless way.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is traditional wedding photography?
What is documentary wedding photography?
What is creative wedding photography?
What is fine art wedding photography?
In conclusion, choosing the right style of wedding photography is a personal decision that will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Traditional photography is perfect for those who want a polished and formal look, creative photography is ideal for those who want to showcase their individuality and personality, and documentary photography is perfect for those who want to relive the day’s events as they actually happened.
Whatever style you choose, be sure to find a photographer who has the experience and expertise to create the images you want, and who is fully licensed and insured. Let me know if you have any questions.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Simon Hogben is an award-winning photographer, content creator, and educator based in the North East of England. As the principal photographer at Simon Hogben Photography, he is renowned for his wedding photography, blending photojournalism and contemporary portraiture to create vibrant images that capture the essence of each couple’s story. As a marketing expert, he produces content for various platforms, helping business owners enhance their online presence. Simon is also dedicated to mentoring aspiring photographers, sharing his expertise and passion for the craft. His commitment to excellence has made him a respected figure in the photography industry.